Competitive players in games like Fortnite, Valorant, and Counter-Strike often use a stretched resolution to increase their visibility, lessen input lag (delay) and get more frames per second. The advantages offered by this type of setting have made it popular for skilled players. Setting up a stretched resolution in Fortnite can seem challenging, but we’ll walk you through the steps. Here’s what to do to use and set up a stretched resolution.
How to use a stretched resolution in Fortnite
To get a stretched resolution in Fortnite, you need to first set up the game’s custom resolution on your desktop and then apply it for the game in its settings file.
NVIDIA Stretched Resolution
If you’re using an NVIDIA video card, here’s how to set up a stretched resolution in Fortnite:
- Open NVIDIA Control Panel
- Access the Change resolution under the Display option in the Nvidia Control Panel.
- Select a resolution and click on Customize
- Click the ‘Create Custom Resolution’ button to set a custom resolution.
- Enter your custom width in pixels and height in lines.
- Make sure that the refresh rate is set to your monitor’s settings.
- Click on the “Test” button
- Click the Custom Resolution button to open a list of available resolutions. Select any & Apply.
AMD Stretched Resolution
Here is how to set up a higher resolution in Fortnite, if you use an AMD video card.:
- Open the AMD Radeon Software program.
- To find the video games, go to the Gaming tab.
- Tap the global display.
- To customize resolutions, select “Custom Resolutions” on the side bar and press “Create New”.
- Enter the Resolution (Resolution) and Refresh Rate (Refresh Rate).
- When you change your monitor’s resolution, make sure the timing is also adjusted.
- Tap on the Create button
Once you have a stretched resolution set for your NVIDIA or AMD video card, you’ll need to navigate to the Fortnite config folder. Press Windows Key + R and type %appdata%. Press the OK button, then open the following folder:
Open the file with a text editor. Edit the following lines of code to match your new stretched resolution settings.:
To protect any edits you make to the GameUserSettings.ini file, place it on read-only mode. To do this, right-click and go to properties. Place a checkmark in the box at the bottom of the General tab that says Read-Only, click Apply and then click OK.
Test the changes by launching Fortnite. If you notice stretched bars during loading, your resolution settings need to be adjusted.
Which are the most popular screen resolutions in Fortnite?
These are some of the most popular resolutions stretched sizes in Fortnite:
The majority of professionals prefer a specialized resolution of either 1820×1080 or 1680×1050.
Reasons why you should use stretched resolution in Fortnite?
Native resolution is the most suitable for gaming, but there are other benefits to stretched resolutions. Some players would prefer a stretched resolution because the size of characters and objects is made larger by doing this. The benefit to this is that your character’s hitbox is still the same, but it can make aiming easier for you.
Games may exhibit higher or higher frame rates and better visibility when rendered in HDR than if displayed on a standard screen.